Dead Pixel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

First time taking the SAT

Go down 
+3
Blahblah677
Mephisto Phallus
JohnPwnsYou
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mephisto Phallus

Mephisto Phallus

First time taking the SAT - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 4:50 am

Blahblah677 wrote:
I had an Okish SAT score compared to my friends (most of whom where more or less 2200), had a 4.0 unweighted for 4 years. Thing that broke me for privates were my extracurriculars...or lack of any. How'd you go through your school's foreign language program too fast? Skip classes? That reminds me, I have an orientation at Davis soon, and I know how big the school is, but it's just an orientation, so do you think I'll need a bike there? :O

Davis, I'd say you'd need a bike if you're going to live there, but I doubt you'll need one for orientation.

As for the foreign language program:
I went through French at the normal pace, but I won a national award and 3 regional awards on the way.
Started Japanese 1 my sophomore year, got bored and studied to skip to Japanese 4 over the summer. In that time, I overshot and went way above the AP level (max my school offered) and took at class at Berkeley for Intermediate Japanese. I'm now signed up for Advanced Japanese at NYU (good thing too, I need connections with upperclassmen ^^)

Also, my total unweighted GPA was a mere 3.41. Fucking terrible, but it's because I took 6 weighted classes my junior year so my weighted GPA looks okay.
Back to top Go down
Shottymaster

Shottymaster

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:07 pm

That reminds me, I need to pull up my GPA -.-
How much do IB classes help when getting chosen for colleges?
Back to top Go down
Mephisto Phallus

Mephisto Phallus

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Shottymaster wrote:
That reminds me, I need to pull up my GPA -.-
How much do IB classes help when getting chosen for colleges?
Not much unless you get A's in them. (or at least B+)
Back to top Go down
Shottymaster

Shottymaster

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Well I need to get straight A's the next two years anyway, and I'm taking mostly AP and IB classes those years so I'm actually going to do shit instead of lazing around and doing nothing.
Back to top Go down
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Blah just hit me up if you need anything from Davis lol. I'll be here allllll summer LOLOLOL.
But Meph is right. you dont need anything for orientation other than essentials. You really dont need a bike until you actually move into the dorms.

Anyways. SAT scores are bunch of bullshit tests at least for UC system.

I got a couple of friends who scored mid 1400's, didnt do much in school other than a sport or two, and theyre at Cal right now lol. Although they did got pretty good grades, like maybe 4.0+, but still SATS don't mean tooo much anymore nowadays
Back to top Go down
Mephisto Phallus

Mephisto Phallus

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 pm

GstarRawr wrote:

I got a couple of friends who scored mid 1400's, didnt do much in school other than a sport or two, and theyre at Cal right now lol. Although they did got pretty good grades, like maybe 4.0+, but still SATS don't mean tooo much anymore nowadays
Berkeley does a more holistic approach to applications, so grades aren't everything to them. A godly essay will get you into there even if your grades aren't too high.
Most UCs don't even look at your essays, just your grades and tests.
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:22 pm

GstarRawr wrote:
Blah just hit me up if you need anything from Davis lol. I'll be here allllll summer LOLOLOL.
But Meph is right. you dont need anything for orientation other than essentials. You really dont need a bike until you actually move into the dorms.

Anyways. SAT scores are bunch of bullshit tests at least for UC system.

Reason why I asked if I'll need a bike is because isn't the orientation 3 days and 2 nights or so? Plus I don't know where the placement tests and class registration will take place so will I need a bike for those few days to get around from place to place?
Back to top Go down
Mephisto Phallus

Mephisto Phallus

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 pm

No, at orientation, you're not going to be in a rush to get between classes.
Bringing a bike would be nice, but definitely not necessary.
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 3:29 am

For Gstar/Shane: How were the math placement tests for Davis? Apparently all incoming freshmen or so need to take it and I haven't had calculus for a year (Senior year had no math classes).
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/math_placement/
I'm taking it July 5 -14 and I just want to make sure there won't be material that'll catch me by surprise.
Back to top Go down
Mephisto Phallus

Mephisto Phallus

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 3:31 am

Heh, I'm exempted from taking a math class because I passed the basic math placement exam ^^
Back to top Go down
Shottymaster

Shottymaster

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Calculus is bullshit at my school because the only teacher licensed to teach precalc and up is old, partially deaf, and sucks at teaching.
Back to top Go down
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 1:05 am

Blah I'll just PM you everything lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time taking the SAT   First time taking the SAT - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First time taking the SAT
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2