Dead Pixel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Thoughts on how to playtest?

Go down 
+6
RenKazama
JohnPwnsYou
Caboose
Paiste
Blahblah677
Echo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Echo
Leader
Echo

Thoughts on how to playtest? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 10:51 am

Alright so now that we're getting some new recruits, I'm not exactly sure on how to do the play tests. If you don't remember the outcome of a play test doesn't matter to me at all. I know some of you care about our clan match ratio, but I refuse to let this clan become a bunch of elitists who won't bother to play with the lesser skilled but potentially equally awesome people.

So, any ideas on how to do the tests? In the past I would 1v1 them where I would only use pistols. If they were still losing, id give them pointers on their aim or tactics or whatever during the game. Anyone know of a better method?

Again the outcome doesn't matter, the test is just to see if they'd show up and to determine their seriousness on joining the clan. It also gives us an easy excuse to deny them. Its a lot easier to say you're not accepted because you're not good enough rather than we don't like you or your personality sucks.
Back to top Go down
Steam https://deadpixel.rpg-board.net
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Maybe if the applicant wants to join the clan-war team, we can use the playtest to see exactly how good they are and to see how well they can fit into the Strike team? As for the casual players, maybe just to make sure they're not absolutely terrible or at the very least to see if they're serious about joining us since if they're not serious about joining chances are they won't show up to do the playtest. If you do pistols do the applicants also have to use pistols or can they go all-permitted?
Back to top Go down
Paiste

Paiste

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 3:24 pm

I think the 1v1 idea is a good point to start at, but i think a team test would be good to see how they act around people, how they play with a team, and (if they're interested in the clan war team) if they can think with a team mindset.

Back to top Go down
Steam
Echo
Leader
Echo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Yeah Blah, it's usually my pistols vs. their all permitted

@Paiste: Yeah the group thing is a good idea; maybe when they add me I see who else is online that's able to play (or I'd just join on them) to play a pub or two to observe their behavior? And only do the 1v1 if they do plan on being a regular clan war member? Surprised
Back to top Go down
Paiste

Paiste

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Ya play a game or two with them on their team and observe how to play. What are the requirments to be on the clan war team?
Back to top Go down
Steam
Caboose

Caboose

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:36 pm

No its my M16 vs their all permitted.
Back to top Go down
JohnPwnsYou

JohnPwnsYou

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:35 am

I honestly don't think that 1 on 1's gauge skill accurate enough. Just have them play a few games with the clan and see how he does. If they're complete shit, like me, then kick them out o_o
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 3:33 am

JohnPwnsYou wrote:
I honestly don't think that 1 on 1's gauge skill accurate enough. Just have them play a few games with the clan and see how he does. If they're complete shit, like me, then kick them out o_o
I do believe you're a notch above me? o__o Elk's in his own little world though. No one in the clan can pull a 7-255 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JohnPwnsYou

JohnPwnsYou

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 3:42 am

You're much more consistent than I am. I'm pretty sure most people can agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Blahblah677

Blahblah677

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am

JohnPwnsYou wrote:
You're much more consistent than I am. I'm pretty sure most people can agree with that.
College has ruined that. I can't tell if it's the new desk height, new mouse positioning, arm rest or whatever but I can't seem to track people when i shoot anymore so I have a lot to straighten out and fix.
Back to top Go down
Echo
Leader
Echo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:27 am

All of those contribute, but its the desk height that is going to mess you up the most. You'd get used to the mouse positioning soon enough, but you're going to be resting your hand on a different point and with more/less weight, meaning you are using the muscles in your hand differently. You're going to have to retrain your hand, not completely but by quite a bit depending on the difference between your desks.
Back to top Go down
Paiste

Paiste

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Ya i believe that 1 v 1's cant accurately show what we want out of a player, but its a way to broadly judge their skill. I think someone said something about a probation period above me, that sounds like a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Steam
Echo
Leader
Echo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 1:03 pm

I do the 1v1's, and it was originally devised, to determine personality and not skill. When I'm winning a 1v1 using a pistol while they use g36's p90's and m416's most players tend to get heated when they are losing. I watch for things like "ns" and "lol" when I headshot them across junk flea instead of "-.-" or "aimbot"

1v1 skill has no real value in this sort of clan since were so tied to teamwork.
Back to top Go down
Paiste

Paiste

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 3:36 pm

lol are there really people out there who accuse the leader of a clan of aimbotting during a play test?
Back to top Go down
Steam
RenKazama

RenKazama

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 pm

I think an interview is A LOT more important than a play-test, but that doesn't mean it's not necessary.
I propose however a different format:

Elimination (30 Kills)
2 VS 1 (An admin on each side to monitor. )
For example: Shottmaster & NewMem VS Fred

Shotty would do nothing but monitor and converse (like a pseudo-interview) to test the waters and see what kind of personality the person has. He's purely there for social relations and to watch out for anything suspicious like closet hacks.

The NewMem will be allowed to use whatever he/she so wishes... EXCEPT FOR SPECS.
Remember, we're not looking for them to win, we're just looking for good sportsmanship, and not total douchebaggery.

Fred will only be allowed to use Pistols (if the person seems to be an average or below average player). However, suppose we're getting a prospect member with a 2.00 KDR, I think it's fair to say Fred can use whatever he usually brings.

Sound fair?
Back to top Go down
Steam
Malicih

Malicih

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Idk if having someone view the match is particularly necessary but having a conversation with the person while playing with them I think is pretty standard. Being that we all enjoy bs'ing and screwing around while playing I find it more important that they can just have fun while they're playing even if they think it's a play test and they have to be all srs face.

Skill doesn't bother me much as long as they aren't uber cocky or think they're all that and a bag of chips. I doubt half the members here really started as anymore than average players, or perhaps a bit better than average, and a lot of DP members consistently pull nice k/d's regardless of who they play against.

I just think a probation period is best to see how they interact with members over the course of a week or so. And of course so that as many members can play with said individual as much as possible and get to know them. I mean if most of us get on consistently very Friday or Saturday that can be our kind of "get to know the newbies day" if you will. The better we all know each other makes us closer knit and lets us have a hell of a lot more fun.
Back to top Go down
Apotheoun

Apotheoun

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Playtesting: New member vs. Echo, Paiste, Shottymaster, Ren, Sked, Ant and myself. At the same time. (More or less kidding, that seems a little overkill)
Back to top Go down
MyInnerFred

MyInnerFred

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 pm

I think 1 admin with pistols only vs new member is good enough. I've been doing that lately and it does gauge the performance of the other player well.
Back to top Go down
Shottymaster

Shottymaster

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 2:23 am

Apotheoun wrote:
Playtesting: New member vs. Echo, Paiste, Shottymaster, Ren, Sked, Lorii, Ant and myself. At the same time. (More or less kidding, that seems a little overkill)

Lol, making them fight (pretty much) the whole Strike Team is cruel xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on how to playtest?   Thoughts on how to playtest? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on how to playtest?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dead Pixel  :: Archive :: The Graveyard-
Jump to: